Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Little Differences

It's been about 3 months since my first day in Thailand and it's been quite the learning experience trying to figure out this new culture of new things and ways. It was just yesterday that I realized that i'm finally learning to function more Thai style when I said something that I couldn't remember if we use in America or not. So I was hit by also by the fact when I return home in less than 3 months, I'm going to have to undo my new way of thinking and learn how to function American again. I thought I'd share a few of these things over the next couple weeks. Here are just a few of the many differences between Thai culture and American culture.

The WAI
Eachday when seeing someone for the first time (especially anyone older than you), it's your responsibility to WAI them. It's taken this long, but I think I'm finally remembering to do this along with the greeting
"Sawatdee Kha".
American's probably wouldn't appreciate this so much if I did this to them.



Toilets and Toilet Paper
I'm sorry if this is somewhat gross but it's just reality. Aside from the fact that we don't use the term "bathroom" or "restroom" here, only "toilet", there are a few more tricks to learn. Because of poor functioning sewer systems, all used toilet paper is to be thrown in "the bin" (trash can), not the toilet. In addition, most places you bring your own toilet paper because it's not supplied. Some toilets you also flush manually by pooring water into it.


Transportation
I will have not driven in over 6 months by the time I return. That alone will be a weird feeling. In Thailand the driving system is opposite so I'm now used to driving on the left side of the road and the driver being on the right side of the car. In my mind, it's actually hard to remember which side American's drive on because i'm mixed between the two.
Also, I'm used to having a taxi at my side with the wave of a hand, anytime, anyday.

Next time: movie theaters, shoes, straws and McDonald's delivery!


0 comments: